This Month in History
May – “Caŋwápto Wi”
Moon when the leaves are green
May 3, 1905 – Rev. Henry Westropp, SJ, was ordained at St. Francis Mission. Special permission was given by Rome.
May 4, 1889 – Chief Hollow Horn Bear speaks for the Sioux before Crook Commission convened on Rosebud Reservation.
May 6, 1877 – Crazy Horse surrenders at Fort Robinson, Nebraska.
May 7, 1877 – Minniconjou under Lame Deer surrenders.
May 7, 1961 – The 75th Anniversary of the founding of St. Francis Mission was celebrated.
May 9, 1983 – Second benefit performance, (first was in 1968) at St. Francis Mission, by Johnny Cash with June Carter.
May 10, 1970 – Bishop Harold Dimmerling dedicated the Kateri Tekakwitha statue on St. Francis Mission grounds. Fr. Joe Karol contacted Emile Brunet of Paris, France to do exact replica of a Canadian statue. Mrs. Demaris Birminham and daughter, Barbara, donated the statue, and Stengel Bros. of Dakota Quarry at Milbank, SD engraved and donated the pedestal. Bro. Joe and crew installed it and did the landscaping. Fr. Mike Jacobs, SJ, member of the Mohawk tribe came from New York to give the talk.
May 17, 1889 – School children at St. Francis Mission sang their first Latin High Mass.
May 20, 1889 – First death listed in the St. Francis Mission records.
May 21, 1998 – The ground breaking of the extension to the Buechel Memorial Lakota Museum building.
May 24, 1933 – First high school graduation exercises in the history of St. Francis Mission. Three girls become the first St. Francis Mission high school graduates. They are: Valeria Hand, Viola Bordeaux-Packard, and Ophelia Little Thunder.
May 24, 1946 – The 60th anniversary of St. Francis Mission.
May 24, 1942 – Bro. Anthony Axt died. He had baked bread for the St. Francis Mission school for 35 years.
May 27, 1973 – Ordination of Fr. Matt Linn, SJ, in St. Charles Church by Bishop Harold Dimmerling.
May 30, 1975 – The dorms at St. Francis Mission closed after 89 years.
May 31, 1975 – The Ordination of the first permanent deacons, Steve Red Elk, Reno Richards and Max Plank at Holy Rosary Mission, for both the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations.
Today is opening day for our Summer season! Come visit the Buechel Memorial Lakota Museum for all new exhibits for 2016!