Subscribe to our mailing list

St. Ignatius Parish

St. Ignatius Parish

In 1892 Fr. Florentine Digmann, SJ, answered a request from the Two Kettles band for baptism. Thus began ministry in the White River area to the Lakota people living there. In 1898 Mother Katharine Drexel donated the funds needed to build St. Ignatius Church, which moved two times in its history from the cemetery hill west of town to the river bottom in 1921, and finally in 1961 to its present location in town just west of Highway 83. In 1998, the church, the oldest in Melette County, was renovated for its 100th birthday.

Church Info:

  • Location:
    White River, SD
  • Pastor:
    Fr. Edward Witt, S.J.
  • Contact:
    605-856-4018